I can maintain the puns forever, Internet. Don't try to stop me.
- All my Gamecube games run in progressive scan mode now.
- The controller generally works well, and while the batteries are not
terribly long-lived, I think I'm getting good use out of them. I'll still
switch to rechargeables when I get the chance.
- Internet channel! Belle thinks this is really dorky, especially since
I keep my ancient laptop in the living room for emergency surfing anyway.
But I love being able to turn on picture-in-picture and visit IMDB or
Wikipedia while watching a movie, and the Wii's browser runs smoother than
Firefox on my Celeron 366.
- Virtual console! And everything looks SHARP. I don't ever remember
N64 games looking that good. I think they cheated a little on the
- Zelda is not awful. I don't have high expectations for 3D Zeldas, and
Twilight Princess just barely clears them.
- Wii Sports is a pretty good workout. If I started doing this
and DDR on a regular basis, I might actually get into passable shape.
- A side effect of the Home button is that you can pause anything,
which is handy for those long cutscenes.
- If I open up the top panel to plug in my Gamecube controllers, the
cat comes and chews on the plastic. That's not really a mark against the
Wii, it's just really annoying.
- We keep the TV next to the front windows, and sometimes the remote
gets confused by the light outside and goes crazy. I have to play with the
blinds down. Belle would prefer I play Wii Sports with the blinds
down anyway though, because it looks really stupid.
- The keyboard on the web browser is awful. You should be able to plug
a keyboard into the USB slot. Also, there's not enough memory to load
Pandora, which is too bad, because I'd love to be able to play my Internet
radio through the TV (while we still have Internet radio).
- What's with the selection on the Virtual Console? Super NES games but
no RPGs? Genesis but practically no fighters? Where's the NEO-GEO or CPS
arcade boards? There's some weird stuff here, mixed in with the classics.
And the slow release schedule is annoying.
- There's some issues in the UI that are strange, particularly with
OK/No buttons that can't decide to consistently exist on the left or the
right side of each other. I'm not sure, but this may be by design to keep
you from accidentally confirming destructive options.
- Did I mention that the cat has tried to eat it? She chews on
everything. We have got the weirdest cat on earth.