this space intentionally left blank
July 30, 2014
- When I reviewed Questlove's Mo Meta Blues, my main complaint was that the parts
I really enjoyed — in-depth looks at musical history from his deep record-diving
perspective — were too few and far between. So while I'm late reposting it, I have to
say I really enjoyed this six-part series of
articles for Vulture on "How Hip-Hop Failed Black America."
- Marijn Haverbeke, author of the CodeMirror editor, Tern parser, and any number of other
detail on the browser and NodeJS. If this had existed two years ago, I probably wouldn't
have written my own textbook.
- I'm a middling-good fighting game fan, so I knew much of the material, but I really
enjoyed Patrick Miller's free
guide to fighting games. For all that they appeal to button-mashing, there's a lot that
goes into high-level gameplay, and Miller does a good job of covering the progression.
- If you're in journalism and like what I've done at the Times so far (what little of it
has gone public), you may want to check out my new project: a repository of tutorials for
Angular, but I'll be following up with information on web scraping, canvas, browser
performance, and more.
- Finally, development on Caret has basically slowed to — if not a halt — a
slow drip of updates. However, thanks to some setup work and a
helpful overseas coder, it's now available in both English and Russian. I feel so
international now. If you'd like to contribute another language, you don't have to know very
existing English text.